LOST HEN AND LAYING

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE, Oct 24, 2008.

1. CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Georgia
    Appx a 3 weeks ago one of my RIR hens got out and stayed out all night "lost" in the woods..ever since then no eggs.. since she was gone and I though dead:( I moved my younger pullets into her tractor. How that she is back she is with the other pullets and still no eggs.

I have moved them all from the tractor to "proper" coop still no eggs any idea??

[​IMG]

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Are you sure she didn't leave a nest of eggs in the woods? Any signs of her being broody?

3. CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

Oct 17, 2008
    Georgia
    she was only gone about 18 hours....[​IMG]

she was being a little broody the day before she disappeared but since then nothing:yiipchick

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    It could be that the RIR is going into molt, or because of the change of the weather, and daylight hours.

Do you have artificial light to extend the hours of light per day the birds receive? They should be getting 14-16 hours per day. Your coop is probably a lot darker than the tractor was, so lighting could be the #1 factor here.

Sometimes a scare will stop birds laying, although after 3 weeks, you would think she would be over any shock from staying out all night.

You say she was broody before she ran away for an overnighter, but is she still sitting on the nest all day, now she's back?

5. CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

Oct 17, 2008
    Georgia
    No she is not sitting on the nest any more...

i have artifical light on in the coop -- i keep it on all night

my other RIRs are in molt now and have been for about a 7-10 days they are about 2 months behind her...

I also notice it seems that her comb is getting smaller and more pink instead of the red that it was a month ago

Could this be because of my absence the weekend before she did her "overnighter"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  6. CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

Oct 17, 2008
    Georgia
    FINALLY AFTER WHAT HAS TO HAVE BEEN A MONTH AND 1/2 SHE LAID ANOTHER EGG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by