1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lost hen to raccoon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmnut, Sep 17, 2009.

1. farmnut

farmnut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    last night a coongot into my chicken run, and bit a hen on the neck. she is still alive but I'm not sure what to do with her. Should i butcher her or nurse her back to health? She put up a good fight , there's feather all over the run. Can I eat a chicken that was attact by a coon?

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

ABSOLUTELY do NOT eat that chicken!!!!! Raccoons carry rabies a LOT!!! (and distemper and other nasty microbes!) Even if you saw the coon and somehow decided it looked healthy, that's no way to tell!!

Depends on how hurt/sick she is as far as nursing her. There isn't enough info here to tell. You can read the sticky at the top of this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=10 it explains about what info is needed and gives some guidelines for posting your issue in that thread. There's several health/healing/treatment guru's here who will probably answer you pretty quick with some opinions/ideas.

3. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Chickens can heal amazingly well from the most awful looking wounds. Since she put up such a great fight to live I would definitely nurse her back to health.
    Neosporin works well after you clean out the wound. Keep her separate and inside where flies will not attack her...and good luck.

Hope you "get" the nasty racoon! [​IMG]

4. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Coons normally attack without cause or reason. Mostly just looking for a free or easy meal. If they do kill, they will come back because they know where to find food and they know where they left it. Your best defense is to trap this coon and kill it. Sad to say that it needs to be disposed of for being a racoon, doesn't make it go away when they find your food source. Shore up your coop to keep it out or deal with your losses. Racoons seem to be the biggest problem preditor for chickens here. Pm me for a solution. I can't post it here.

5. farmnut

farmnut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Quote:You are right. the hen laid an egg two days after the attack. her neck is in terrible shape,also wing and bottom. today she took some water and food. Still din't get the coon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by