Lost her earmuffs! Sick? Broody? What is going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MommaBee, Feb 24, 2013.

1. MommaBee

MommaBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Texas
    We have and EE who is almost a year old. This past week she has kept to herself, not eaten much, and is hunkering down with her feathers all fluffed out, like a broody hen would on their nest. I have also noticed her "ear muffs" are GONE. She is not sitting in her nest much (Makes me doubt broodiness) and she keeps to herself in the run. Any ideas on what might be going on?

2. MommaBee

May 25, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    No muffs!

[​IMG]
    Hunkering down and shaking her head a lot.

Maybe these pics will help. I posted in the injured forum and have not gotten a response.

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Could one of your other chickens be pulling out her feather? Maybe mites/lice?

4. MommaBee

May 25, 2012
    Texas
    I really think someone must be picking on her. I did some research and the way she's acting when others come near her seems to point the problem in that direction, hunkering down, shaking her head and closing her eyes. If it was mites I think I'd see issues with the other 6. Now is this just normal for an EE at the bottom of the pecking order or do I need to do something for her? And if so what? She isn't bleeding but I feel bad for the sweet gal!

5. Tongiechick

Tongiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonganoxie Kansas
    just in case i would take a look around her blow whole and make sure she does not have anything going on

also does she have any dicharge from the eyes or nose? is she sneezing or coughing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by