1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost Her Voice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melanie9565, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Melanie9565

Melanie9565 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    This morning I went out to my run because my chickens were screaming that one was laying an egg. My Americana was trying to cackle, but it sounded more like she had something stuck in her throat. Not much sound coming out. I picked her up (which she usually does not like) and felt her neck. Not sure what a chicken neck usually feels like, but nothing felt swollen and she didn't flinch like it hurt. I took out her favorite treat, chopped up grapes, and she pecked at it a little and walked away. Now I'm worried. Our chickens don't come into contact with other chickens, no one new has been introduced and they have a big run that they hang out in...so no contact with other birds at all. Any ideas? I don't think there's a chicken vet in my area!

2. Cookie666

Cookie666 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2015
    Malaysia
    Maybe mycoplasma or aspergillosis.

3. Melanie9565

Melanie9565 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    Well she seems to be okay now. I went to check on her and try a different treat. She was clucking and ate the corn that I brought out. Jumped up on her perch to be hand fed while the others foraged for their corn on the ground. Clucked louder when I ran out of treat. So I'm hoping that she just got something "stuck" in her throat. When I checked on her in between posts, her neck feathers below her beak were wet so I am assuming she consumed a lot of water...... fingers crossed it was just an irritation! Thanks for the input. Those pictures of birds with the mycoplasma are terrible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by