lost middle toe nail?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kwalz07, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Kwalz07

Kwalz07 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Good morning,
    I'm new with raising chickens as my oldest chickens are 5 months old. This morning I noticed my roosters toe nail is missing? Not sure what happened! He seems to be walking fine..eating, drinking..seems a Lil off balance with on and off the perches. I washed it off and put triple abx on it bc idk what else to do yet. Can someone help me figure this out and what I should do to help him?? [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You're probably doing it already.
    I think he'll be fine. Just watch for infection. Check if one foot is warmer than the other. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may have gotten the toenail stuck in some fencing and torn it off. My hen did that last year, and her toe was sore for a couple of weeks, but the nail did not grow back. You could do some warm soaks on his feet--epsom salts is good and soothing-while you are watching TV. Apply some Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment on the toe, even applying a bandaid to keep it clean. It looks like there may be a little dead tissue on the end. It's also possible that the tip got frostbitten.

4. Kwalz07

Kwalz07 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Yea I was wondering same thing. Would be possible as we just got > 25 inches of snow last week. I shoveled out the coop and put fresh hay down. I'll def try those warm soaks. I cleaned it this morning n put the triple antibiotics on also. I'll try this again later n put a bandaid on also. Ty guys! Had me so worried and feeling very bad. I looked at other chickens feet and all are fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by