Lost mind - getting more chicks - broiler house culls

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My neighbor that owns seven commercial broiler houses (30,000 chickens in each house, do the math), just stopped by to buy some eggs. He saw my chicks and fell in love. Anyhow, he is about to cull in the houses. Any chick that is not keeping up with the rest will be killed. He offered me 20. I told him I would take five. They are younger than my two week olds, but of course are the same size or slightly bigger.
This is the second time he's offered and this time I agreed.
I think it's going to be very interesting to see how broiler chicks that have been in a commercial house situation since a few hours after hatch react to being part of a free range flock.

After he left my DH told me that while I was in the house getting the eggs the neighbor told him that if it doesn't work out DH should just pinch their little heads off. DH replied Yeah! Like that's gonna happen around here.
lol.png

Yes of course they'll be quarantined. I also have to keep in mind that the broiler chicks have been vaccinated for everything under the sun, some of which was administered before hatching.

Back
Top Bottom