Lost more than 40 chicks! So angry!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TennesseeTruly, Dec 26, 2009.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I went on vacation for a week because my son was getting engaged. When we left, a snowstorm hit and our place was without power but the fire department brought up some generators to keep my place warm, plus the people that were staying here had our fireplace too. Power was returned in two days.

When I got home I was informed that all my Serama's were dead. I came home really sick and immediately went to bed. Hubby said he would take care of things. This morning I get up and went in to check on my chicks and ducks. One of my ducks died right after we got home last night, hubby said. And the 40 chicks that I had are now down to 8!

Oh yea....they unplugged my incubator and egg turner too so of course all those are gone as well. I haven't been out to check the rest of my place yet as I have H1N1 and can barely keep my head up. I hate to see what kind of casaulties we've taken elsewhere on the farm.

My message....we very careful who you trust. I thought I knew these people for well over a year. Had them here every day for 6 months to plan for this trip. Had written instructions detailing how to take care of everything. Now I have so many losses that I worked so hard on. Especially my Seramas!

And just think! I paid them for all this!

Laurie

2. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    UGH so sorry for the loss.

I am in the same boat. You must have true farm people to run a farm if you are away...with the farm smarts you know!

I only use farmers for my help when I leave. I have too cause having a real farm anyone without experience sure could get hurt by the hogs and cattle, and I need people capable of driving tractors etc. and fix fence etc. if need be.

I hate you got caught in all that mess.

I know, us farm people almost can never leave the place. I am right there with you on that one. ball and chain when you have so many animals. It is hard.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  3. little horse

little horse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    centerville texas
    i am so sorry its hard i know to leave when you have animals etc, we go thru the same thing as well. i hope you feel better soon and again so sorry

4. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry that happened to you and all your babies. We hardly go on any trips for the same reason.... It's hard to find anyone who is reliable and capable enough to be trusted with so many little lives. If we do go anywhere, I usually have to get one of my brothers to do the animal caretaking, and I drive them crazy with all the little details and I am always calling to see if everything is okay. Those people who were with your animals should pay you back for all the financial cost of the eggs & chicks! It sounds like they were really negligent, and did not care about those birds.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Ohh Laurie and after you had just gotten over the dog disaster too....ugh!

I am so sorry! (((hugs)))

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    How horrible! I'm so sorry, Laura. You've had such a rough year too. I would definitely ask for an accounting from them. That many losses is simply inexcusable.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    How long was the power out before the generators arrived? chances are the bator eggs would have been a loss anyway if it was for a few hours.

I don't know the whole deal with generators either, but can they run the entire house?

Did you leave instructions for the people that were staying at the house? If they didn't follow instructions then there should be questions asked, but if you didn't give instructions then [​IMG]

SOrry for all the losses! [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    OMG I am so sorry. That is a huge loss.

With the power going out for 2 days, I would expect the eggs would have been gone anyway. But for their neglect to cause the death of so many animals is inexcusable. I wouldn't have paid them.

9. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG] that is horrible!! So sorry you went through this, it is even worse your sick!! Hope you feel better [​IMG]

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I am sorry for your loss. I stayed home this week evern though my wife went to Buffalo cause I didn't really trust anyone to care for my birds. I just don't think a non-farm/ animal person understands how to deal with emergencies or tries hard enough. Ya gotta have a good imagination to improvise in a pinch. Again sorry and take care of the H1N1 hope you feel well soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by