lost muscovy :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rehric00, Aug 6, 2013.

1. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I got two muscovy ducks 3-4 months olds a few day ago. Let them out of the coop today to free range. Whem I left for work (6pm) my husband called and said they were gone. One flies the younger one can't. I'm so sad I can't be home to search for them and they're in the woods. Pray the come home safetly!
    Has this happened to any of you before? :(

2. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    they stuck around all day until I left :(

3. muskuslove

muskuslove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    Yep, it happend to me. I also bought two new muscovys. Put them in the coop for two days and than let them out to free range. My drake attacked them and they flew away. I couldn`t find them. After a day or two i noticed that they were closeby, but to scared to come. Finaly hunger kickt in and there they were... look closely under bushes and between trees. Good chance you find them...

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have a body of water close by? also Scovy's will roost in trees if given a chance. I hope they come home. If you get them back leave them penned for at least a week then clip a wing on each one if you don't want them flying off.

5. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    I just got home from work and walked the woods just behind the house, not too deep in as its not cleared out... No sign of them. I am not as worried about the black one, as I am the tan one. Tan one was smaller and couldn't fly, she would follow around the black one like she was momma duck, and went after her into the woods. I'm worried a coyote may have gotten her... I sure hope they come home! Ill keep you all posted!

6. muskuslove

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    I`ll keep my fingers crossed...

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm guessing they didn't come home? [​IMG]

9. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    No sign of them :( I think next time I will start with babies, so they know where home is. I will also consider clipping wings, although not my first choice , but better than loosing them!

10. muskuslove

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    I`m so sorry for you...[​IMG]
    If you have young ones, you probably won`t have to clip them, because they won`t fly away anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by