Lost My 2 week old White Leghorn

Habibs Hens

Cream Legbar Keeper
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
London, UK
My Coop
My Coop
This morning at about 7am My Wife checked on all the chicks and they seemed fine

i went to check on them at 9am and found my White Leghorn dead in the brooder

i cant work out what happened

they all seemed fine

there is only one thing i can think of but highly doubt it

yesterday 2 lemon cuckoo orps hatched out

late last night after they dried i moved them to a seperate brooder, of which i decided to remove my runt buff orp and put her with the 2 new hatches as company

leaveing my WL, FCM, Lav Araucana and Legbar together

i thought being a runt the buff would not only fir in with the new chicks but wont fight as she is still very small and can show the new chicks the feeding and drinking ropes

well all i can think of is leghorn died of broken heart

is that possible considering leghorn had 3 other mates in there with him

i have since removed the brooder for sanatisation and put all chicks in new brooder

man am i lucky i have 5 brooders

Last edited:
So sorry you lost your chick
hugs.gif

Chickens can and do feel emotions. I remember a hen of mine's behaviour when a predator killed her chicks. She walked around and "cried". It was terrible to see.

im just not taking teh loss too good

i feel so empty right no, its almost like i have a part of me missing

anyone got another leghorn i can buy PLEASE

You're breaking my heart. I'm so sorry, it's amazing how much in love we fall with these little things.
hugs.gif
I hope you can find a new one really soon.

You're breaking my heart. I'm so sorry, it's amazing how much in love we fall with these little things.
hugs.gif
I hope you can find a new one really soon.

yeah its very odd how we get attached to them and watching them rummage and have dust baths and just being them selves

i have had real bad luck with shipped hatching eggs and to get a leghorn replacement from the same breeder as i did before will cost me £42 UK Pounds [$66]

so getting another leghorn might have to wait till i do a large order of a new batch of chicks then hopefully will be a bit cheaper [the more chicks i buy the cheaper it will get]

Last season I had 4 leghorn chicks and 3 of them died of unknown reasons a few months apart. I was upset because I had no idea what happened! Maybe it's something to do with the breed...?

Last season I had 4 leghorn chicks and 3 of them died of unknown reasons a few months apart. I was upset because I had no idea what happened! Maybe it's something to do with the breed...?

its soemthing to think about that

will need to look up teh leghorn breed and see what they are like emotianaly

they are known to be skittish so maybe they also have weak hearts

I know that feeling, been there myself a few times. It's crazy how much these little creatures come to mean to us.
hugs.gif
Hope you find another one.

its soemthing to think about that

will need to look up teh leghorn breed and see what they are like emotianaly

they are known to be skittish so maybe they also have weak hearts
I don't think it was anything emotional for my birds. They had company. I don't believe a bird would die from being lonely either. It was most likely a health problem you were unaware of.

Back
Top Bottom