Lost my beloved avatar rooster.

soonerdog

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 14, 2007
Poultry Capitol of the World
I know now how the lady feels that posted her goodbyes to BYC forum earlier this week. She had lost her flock to a kill. She was saying goobye to BYC members on the forum. I felt sad for her and now I can relate to her feelings. Although, I could never leave BYC because there are far too many wonderful chicken folk here that I would miss.
A few weeks ago, one of my hens and my favorite rooster (the one in my avatar) got out of the coop while I was feeding.
sad.png
I really didn't think much of the birds getting out. Often times they do this to get a chance to eat grass. I always chase them back inside, no big concern. Well, I was able to chase the hen back into the coop but the rooster would not go inside. He has always been the spooky type, and of course, he became excited and ran to the far end of the yard. Knowing how easily he spooks, I did not want to attempt to chase after him. I thought he'll settle down in a little while. Maybe, he'll attempt to roost on top of the coop or in the tree limbs above. I'd planned to catch him that night. I watched him from the house a few times for the rest of the evening. He seemed to just enjoy being free and eating the green grass. Later in the evening, before dark, I went outside to look for him and he was gone. I thought maybe he wondered into the neighbor's pasture. I went there to have a look around and he was nowhere to be found. I have asked around the neighborhood and nobody has seen him. Thought in a few days he'll wonder back home eventually when he hears the other roosters crowing. Several weeks have passed now and I have resolved that he is a goner. I am thinking maybe dogs got him. He was half white bantam ameraucana and half wheaten ameraucana bantam. In the forty-two years that I have raised chickens, he is perhaps the most beautiful rooster that I have ever owned.
sad.png
I will miss him.

My condolences on the loss of your beautiful rooster, Johnny. I know how heartbroken you must be because I lost my wonderful Hawkeye this year, as you must know. Nothing will make it better except time. I sure hope he does come home, though.

Oh my gosh - isn't there a chance he may still come home? You never know....I hope so for you. What could have scared him off? He's beautiful.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I was so excited to have this rooster. A one of a kind. He inspired my current breeding project. I am attempting to create a color variety of red pyle bantam ameraucana. I don't know if I can do this or not but I am going to try. In the ameraucana breed there are'nt any of Red Pyle coloring. While speaking with others, genetic gurus and experts, I have learned that while the rooster in my avatar has the perfect red pyle coloring, genetically, he was not of red pyle variety because he was based off (bred from) the wheaten variety of ameraucana. I have a few pictures of other birds from my breeding project but none have come close to his beauty. I have gone outside the ameraucana breed to capture the red pyle coloring by introducing Red Pyle Old English into my breeding project. I hope one day to have another rooster that is as nice looking as the rooster in my avatar. Thanks to all of you for the wonderful comments.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/fdippy/RedPyleOldEnglisXWheatenAmeraucanar.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/fdippy/WhiteAmeraucanahenandHalfRedPyleOld.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom