Lost my best RIR hen this morning

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BamaChicken, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Went out to feed and looks like she just fell of the Roost and died. Maybe the heat got to her yesterday. She was heavy. No sign of any sickness. I am going to worm them. I hope some of my young ones look as good as her.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry to hear that you lost one of your flock. The heat is terrible.

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    sorry for your loss.

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Julie,
    I am so sorry about your loss! It was probably the heat. I had a hen die yesterday too. She I believe over heated while trying to lay an egg. It was awful. [​IMG]

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks, it has been so hot here but hopefully we are going to be back in low 90's the rest of the week. It reached 99 yesterday before we finally got a shower of rain. I almost lost my splash Orp hen last week. We cooled her down with cold water and she got alright. She was trying to set on a nest. That is the only pen without shade and I let them out to freerange and get in shady areas. She decided to set and it nearly killed her. She was woozy and couldn't stand up.
    When I went out to check on everyone right before dark all the RIR's were on the roost and looked okay. She could have just fallen and hit the wrong way to though. I just don't know.

6. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry about your hen. I guess she is the mama to some of my six week old chicks, then. Poor thing. This heat gets me close to keeling over, too.

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    so sorry about your RIR. I dread the day that we loose our first bird... [​IMG]

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for the loss of your hen. [​IMG]

10. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by