1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost my Brahma baby... =(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiny529, Jun 26, 2011.

1. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks for all of the help and encouragement everyone. My little Bertha past away this afternoon. My son was devastated and made me make a gravestone for her. I just hope everyone else fares well. I don't know if he could handle losing another one. [​IMG] Heck, I don't know if I could either! [​IMG]

2. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    I'm so sorry to hear. It does just break your heart and you wonder what you could have done different. I do learn something each day but I never seem to be able to catch up. Are you going to buy some pullets? I was too afraid I'd so something not right to do chicks, so started with pullets and am doing pretty good, although I have lost 3 of my birds since '06 for various causes. Keeping the coop cleaner, keeping varmits out better, keeping them cooler in our hot Texas heat, feeding them as many greens as I can chop for them. Putting out frozen water bottles too. I just have 6 girls, 4 silkies and two Belgian Mille Fleurs, so they are pretty easy to keep an eye on.
    Hope your hearts will heal to the point you can get another birdy. Do make sure any new bird is same size.

3. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I'm sorry your Bertha died. You did your best for her but sometimes there isn't anything that can be done. I hope you and your son are feeling better soon! [​IMG]

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry she didn't make it. I was lucky that my first six were healthy from the start and I didn't lose any of them. We get really attached to these little balls of fluff. I was so afraid one or more of mine would die. And, of course your little Bertha had to have a gravestone. Give your son a hug from me and I will pray that the rest of them live and thrive for both your sakes. [​IMG]

5. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by