Lost my brand new silkie girls

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by morgenbreanne, Nov 3, 2016.

1. morgenbreanne

morgenbreanne Just Hatched

Oct 31, 2016
    I adopted 2 silkies hens (2 years old) yesterday and today my beagle/basset mix killed both of them. I already had 2 hens (silver laced Wyandotte and white leghorn) for a while and my dog never payed them any attention after a couple days of training him to leave them alone. He is an older dog and very calm. I thought nothing of adding a couple more girls to my flock. My husband let our dog outside (I was at work) and he returned with feathers in his mouth, my husband knew to investigate and found both of our new girls dead. I am heartbroken. They were considerably smaller and more doscile then our current girls, was that a factor? I am scared for my other hens and am only letting my dog out on a leash now. I have a fenced in backyard in the city and have throughly enjoyed letting my girls free range with no worry of their safety (at least not from my dog, I know there are other predators) should I build my girls a run? Or was this a one time thing because there were so easy to catch? I am at a loss. My dog is practically my child and I knew there was a chance chickens weren't in the cards for me having a hunting dog but he acted so well with the first two I thought we were over that fear. Please don't judge me or post hurtful comments my heart is hurting enough. I am a HUGE animal lover an do would never knowingly put an animal at danger. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    So sorry for your loss.

I'd either build a run for the remaining birds or only let the dog out on a leash. I'd be concerned that since he has gotten a taste for the chickens, it would be too tempting for him to be alone with the others.

Again, sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

The thing with your dog....It knew your other Birds....Was not introduced to the new ones so those it was getting rid of....My LGD female I trained knows my Pullets and Ducks...I got my Cockerel back a month ago and thought nothing of letting him out with the Pullets or my well trained dogs...Bindi seen him as a threat and had him up on top of my Coop and was trying to chase him off...I reinforced her training and now she leaves him alone....

Next time introduce the new birds to the dog...He was thinking he was doing a good job of protecting his other Birds.....

Cheers!

4. morgenbreanne

morgenbreanne Just Hatched

Oct 31, 2016
    Thank you. My dog is still being perfectly fine and ignoring my current birds. I should have spent more time with him on the new birds.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Its not your fault or the Dogs....We all learn as we go.....Better luck the next time you introduce new Birds.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by