Lost my chicken tonight - help me figure out what happened please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wintersun, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Wintersun

Wintersun Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    NH
    I'm very sad to have lost a chicken but concerne because I don't know why she died and it seemed to happen quickly. She's 7 months old, was laying regularly. I didn't really notice anything until about an hour before she died. Walking back to coop, she was lagging behind the rest. I walked behind her slowly to move her along and realizing she was moving so slow, I picked her up and carried her in. She did not peck at the scratch. Then 30 mins later, all the hens/rooster were in the coop roosting but my sick little hen was on the coop floor. I went out and she was listliss. I didn't feel anything stuck in her crop, her butt was clear. I couldn't feel any injuries. No sign of feathers missing. I left her and cheked again 30 minutes later and she had passed.

Now, at the same time, my egg production went from 5-7 a day to only 3 today. Also, one of my hen's who is generally broody but leaves the nest when I take her egg, won't leave the nest. I pushed her out of the nest twice and she simply returned. She's sleeping there now. That was the least of my worries tonight.

Any ideas what could strike so seemingly quickly and whether the other change in behaviors are related?

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    The first thing that comes to my mind is ... when did you last treat them all for lice/mites? When did you last worm them if ever?

Sorry that it is too late to help your girl that died... however, the one sitting in the nesting box could be broody....often, the refusal to leave the nesting box is a sign of illness or being broody.... check her to see if she is aggressive... if so... she is broody... if not she is showing signs of being ill... permethryn is great for treating lice/mite infestations!

Good luck

Suzie

3. Wintersun

Jun 8, 2012
    NH
    Thanks very much for responding, Suzie. I've never treated them for worms. I got the chicks in May and now we're in pretty cold weather. I had planned to treat in the spring. I am using ACV in their water and D earth in their run, shavings but not their food. We change the roosting box shavings weekly and the full coop monthly. I'll check into worming them now as a precaution.

I took a good close look at the remaining 7 this morning and again tonight and none are showing any signs of illness. All ate and drank this morning.

My Buff (Goldie) is definitely broody. She gets aggressive with me when I "encourage" her out of the nesting box. We plan to allow her to try to hatch some chicks this spring.

I have to say I didn't expect to be so sad losing a hen (her name was Rachael). I held her and cried like a baby. Poor thing. But I know they are farm animals and things can happen. I just hope the others are fine. Thanks again for responding, Suzie.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss. I don't want to sound insensitive, but if you're in the USA, you can probably get a necropsy done for free or a small fee. If you're interested, and you live in the USA, let me know where you live and I'll help you find a lab. If you still have her body, you want to put her in the refrigerator, not the freezer.

I have to go get hay now, so it will be awhile before I'm back online.

5. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Wintersun...

That is part of loving and caring...... tears and sadness are a huge amount of loving and caring for our flock.. no matter how hopeless and helpless we may feel!

I have a Roo here with me right now.. he was attacked and has a huge swelling to the left side of his face - he is very special to me.. I do not know his age as he was given to me some three years ago by a friend... he is happy in the dining room,, has eaten some scrambled egg and is drinking too..if he dies despite all that I can do for him... I too will cry... I will not sleep tonight ... he is so precious to me.... I DO understand....

Suzie

6. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I'm sorry to hear you lost your Rachel. It's always sad to loose them. I'm always sad when I look an animal. It would be hard to know what she died of without a necropsy since her symptoms were so general. As long as the others seem fine I would guess it just might of been something genetic. Sounds like your other hen on the nest is broody :)

Tammie

7. Wintersun

Jun 8, 2012
    NH
    Good luck with your Roo, Suzie. I understand the not sleeping. I still look out at the coop anytime I get up at night to make sure they're safe.

Casportpony: I'm in NH. I'd be interested in the info for future reference. We did put Rachael in the freezer though.

8. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Wintersun..

Thanks ... it is now 1.45 am annd "Blindside" is still here with me.. he is quite active and I am so tired... but he is worth my concern.... I have an early appointment at 8.00am and I will not sleep as he may need my attention.... you will understand!

Suzie

9. gibsterl

gibsterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Wintersun-
    Sorry about the loss of your chicken Rachael....where in NH are you? I also live in NH

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  10. Wintersun

Jun 8, 2012
    NH
    Hi Gibsterl...I'm in Dunbarton. Moved here 6 years ago and talked about getting chickens for years. We finally pulled the trigger last year and ordered chicks from Ace in Goffstown. I think we got fairly lucky with only 1 turning out to be a rooster who is, so far, not aggressive toward me and watches out for the girls. I've learned so much in these forums and still have much to learn. Are you close by?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by