Lost my chickens :(

abarton769

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Shelby, NC
im in Shelby, NC and I Bought 3 brown and 3 white chicks in april and built a cage and everything was going good for the first 3 months then I lost 3 in one night. whatever got to them was not strong enough to pull them under the fence but ones head was gone the ones head was just crushed and one was missing part of its scalp but was still alive. I had to end its pain. The only reason I lost so many was the hens had no where to run when the animal came into they pen. I let the last 3 run free hoping they would be able to run from whatever was killing them. One month went by and everything was going good till this morning. I was mowing the lawn when i noticed my last brown hen was not acting right so i walked over to it and again something grabbed it from behind and it must have been a few days old because there was maggots all in this chickens wounds. Now i have one white hen left. I already feel so bad about my other hens. I'm ready to give up.

Don't give up! sounds like raccoons, they'll just eat the heads, although they're usually strong enough to get where and what they want! I'd rec getting some Duke dog proof traps and getting rid of the buggers, and then get some more birds! Sorry for your losses!

Back
Top Bottom