Lost my dog today

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rooster-red, Aug 4, 2007.

1. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I lost my hybrid dog today after being in the family for 13 years.

Best dog I ever had.
    Great inside dog even though he weighed 100lbs.
    Never barked unless he needed to go out to fertilize the grass, was great with the kids and cats, chickens too.

He was smart, sometimes too smart. He could open doors by turning door knobs with his mouth. We found out he could do that when one morning we got up and the front door was standing wide open and the dog was sitting on the porch looking in (we had forgotten to lock the door that night)

I watched him open several doors after that.

We sure will miss him.[​IMG]

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    So sorry. I know it's very hard to loose a loved one....even if it has 4 legs. I have a dog that is 13 years old, and know she won't be around much longer. I get upset just thinking about it. [​IMG]
    Rose

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Awgeez, I'm so sorry for your loss. People who don't have animals just don't understand how they tie your heart up in knots.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I'm sorry about your dog. When you mean hybrid are we talking hybid wolf? I think they are so pretty. How did it happen?

5. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    We've lost two dogs in the past few years, and it's really rough. I still tear up when I think about the last one. [​IMG]

So sorry for your loss. :aww

6. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Sorry about your loss.

Dogs are God's greatest earthly gift to his children.

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    yeah, I knew over the last few weeks that his time was up, so it wasn't a shock and I had tried to prepare myself but... Still leaves a big hole in my household that won't be filled again.

8. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    You can't prepare yourself. I tried with two of mine and each time it was useless. Hardest thing I've ever had to deal with.

9. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

:aww Oh I am so sorry for your loss......sounds like he was a wonderful companion to you all......... :aww

10. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Yes, Wolf/Malamute.
    His systems just began to shut down.
    He started weezing yeaturday, having trouble walking more than 15ft before having to stop and rest.
    He stopped eating, wouldn't even eat peanut butter, his favorite treat, never refused it once in 13 years so I knew this was it.

I'm pretty sure he died of a heart attack, we were all gathered around him when it happened, trying to comfort him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by