Lost my EE Annie today!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlady08, Aug 27, 2010.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I noticed yesterday that my EE Annie had some poop on her tail feathers. She seemed fine and so I didn't do anything for her. Well this morning when I went out to let my chickens out and Annie came out and was kinda sluggish. Well I picked her up and put her inside of a large dog kennel pen and gave her some vitamins, food and kept checking on her, I could tell she was dying and there was nothng I could do to save her. She was gasping with her mouth open and had some sticky stuff in her mouth. I guess it was mucus. Well she was dead this afternoon and we buried her.

Does anyone know of what it may have been? She was eating up until today and she was a good weight, no worms and I saw no visible signs of injury, no open sores or anything?

2. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I don't know, but someone will! So sorry to hear about your loss. [​IMG]

3. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    Was she laying? She might have been egg bound.

4. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    She was at one time laying, but they have been free ranging and they are laying eggs under the coops, shed and where ever else they seem to lay. So to be honest I am not sure if she had layed recently. Her abdomen was not hard and it was soft, I didn't feel an egg in there. But her poop was not the normal color, it was different than usual. But it was just stuck to her feathers.

5. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am so sorry of your loss.

6. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I am so sorry for your loss. I really have no idea what it might have been that she had gone so quickly. Was there blood in her poop?

7. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I saw no signs of blood in her poop. I am afraid that if she had something wrong could it be spread to the other chickens. When I found her she had extended her head out of the kennel and her leg was extended out behind her. And they were all vaccintated from Marek's when we got them as day old last year. I just think that 1 year and 5 months is really young to die for a chicken. She has never seemed sick at all. Now I am afraid that whatever killed her will take out my flock. [​IMG]

8. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Hey aren't you Lisa that had a Leghorn with sour crop?

9. srcarucci

srcarucci Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    CA
    I'm so sorry. We just lost our EE Goldie today. I don't know what happened. She was fine all morning, it's not hot today and when I went out this afternoon she was gone. Did you ever find out what happened? Were your other chickens okay?

Quote:

10. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    So sorry! [​IMG] About a month ago we lost our favorite EE,..her name was Cheeseburger (I know,..the kids named her). She was fine when we shut them up for the night, the next morning, she was dead under the roost pole. I believe our hot temps got to her. That was the first tears I ever shed over a chicken,...but EE's are so easy to get attached to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by