Lost my entire flock last night :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rtho88, Jan 2, 2014.

1. rtho88

rtho88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    Just moved my flock out into their house and run two days ago. It was so nice having them out in the yard and seeing them use their house.

About 1 am my dog was going insane so I got up in a flash to see what was going on. There was a dog in the chicken run. I got dressed and ran out side, hoping the girls had made it into the house before the dog had gotten in the run.

Their were feathers everywhere, total panels of my chicken wire had been dismantled. I'm furious, and could cry. I hatched these eggs in early November and had really bonded with the chickens.

Later today I will beef up my run, and then figure out where to get some more chickens :(

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry for your misfortune. Do you know who owns the dog? I would inform them and animal control of the problem. That dog will return unless it was taken care of. You might want to include electric fencing in your fortification.

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry to hear about your flock!

I'd also invest in a trail camera--they have night vision and record the images. The chickens don't move around at night so they won't trigger it, but nighttime visitors will. Photo evidence is key for something like this.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    So sorry to hear about your flock - what a shame. The best way to reinforce for dogs is to use cattle or hog panels on the inside of your wire fence.

1 person likes this.
  5. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    So sorry to hear this. Its so devastating when you look one chicken you've raised and bonded with, but to lose an entire flock! As hard as it is, this is a lesson learned. If a dog can get in so can a fox. Rebuild or reinforce the run. Mine go into a 12x8 hutch in the back of the run, all wire and tarp. At night, I always lock them into the coop as there is no staying outside overnight. We have roaming dogs too, but also foxes, coyotes and birds of prey.

6. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    **** that sucks. Sorry to hear! Another dog dismantled the wires?? wow. Then how do you properly install a chicken wire?

7. Usagi

Usagi Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    I am so incredibly sorry. I'd still be in tears.
    Hopefully you can deduce what the weak spot was and bring back the information. Wire not deep enough? As tragic as this is, it is a good lesson for all of us and I will take this story to heart.
    I'm hoping you figure out whose dog that is. If you are anything like me, that owner will understand very well to keep their dog(s) on their property unless they would like to be down one pet. You lost several...and now they should be very worried about losing their one.

Electric wire sounds like a really good idea and I'm planning on using that myself.
    Good luck and come back to show of the new girls when you get them. New life brings forth new hope.

8. rtho88

rtho88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    Well the bad thing is I know who's dog it is. My wives grandparents live across the road and it was their Rottweiler. My Great Pyrenees was going nuts when the attack happened so it woke me up. She's always been very protective and I'm surprised she didn't attack him.

There was a weak spot were the staple gun had gotten jammed and I forgot to go back to it when I fixed the gun.

He had rammed the wire in multiple spots and that one gave in. Then he just went crazy when we couldn't get out and tore his way out the run. By the time I got up the chickens were already dead and he ran away.

I don't want them to feel bad but I'll have to tell them soon.

I've fixed the stuff he broke and will reinforce it. I've also found a few options for some 4-7 month hens.

I'll post as it updates.

9. Usagi

Usagi Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh man. Yeah that's rough. Can't exactly go yelling at Grammy and Pappi. :/

Glad to hear you found some new chickens right away, though.

10. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    While you are rebuilding-reinforcing your run, might be a great time to approach them and build a pen for their rotty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by