Lost My Favorite Blue Orp Hen :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tiffanyh, Jan 31, 2009.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I'm so sad. I had to put down my favorite hen last night (always the favorites). She had won a show for me last fall and she was a very dark blue hen very calm and sweet.

She had prolapsed (this was the third time over the last year+ time). I tried to "replace" her quite a few times last night with no luck. Every time I tried she pushed it back out farther. SHe seemed painful, and she seemed to be breathing with a soft moan...kind of like a dog in pain will. She also seemed to have two soft masses in the area between her legs. I felt them when I was looking to see if she was egg bound. Maybe and internal layer?? Maybe masses from production, I know hens are prone to this from over production from the follicles.

I bought eggs here and hatched a bunch just to get her! I placed the others as they grew and kept her....

So, either way, cant shake my sadness today. I brought her to the vets I worked at for 10 years before teaching. I am a certified tech so I was able to do it that way.

Now I am with my dark blue hen.........[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] When my Buffy died (killed by a fox) I kept some of her feathers to remember her by...

3. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]
    JJ

5. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    I feel your sorrow. I just lost my Miss Red Comet to the same thing on Thursday. They're only chickens but the feeling of loss is very great. [​IMG]

6. maymiegirl

maymiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    PA
    I am so sorry for your loss also.

A very simple remedy for Prolapsed vent. Please Everyone who has a hen that suffers from a prolapse...Prolapsed vent is a result of lack of important minerals in the diet. 2 very easy and natural ways to prevent this awful occurance and others is to 1. provide Probiotics with the feed on a regular basis. The best Probiotic I have ever found is for goats and obtained at tractor supply. I use 2 scoops with 8 cups of feed. Also include about one heaping tablespoon of food grade Diatomaceous Earth 3 days in a row once a month.

I have owned thousands of chickens and NEVER ONCE have I ever had one with a prolapsed vent. Please give them the vitamins and minerals they need.

7. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    im so sorry.[​IMG]

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Very interesting. What do you think these things contain that the birds need? The benefits of probiotics, especially, and DE, have been touted but not because of mineral content. I haven't had a bird with prolapse but am very interested because of all the sad stories along these lines...Thank you.
    JJ

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    tiffanyh -- So, so sorry. [​IMG]
    Especially tough when you worked hard to get her and only had her left from the hatch.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry, Tiffany. I also lost my favorite Blue Orp hen a few months ago. Poor thing developed serious sour crop. I miss her goofy ways so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by