Lost my favorite chicken to Roundworms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brianp, Nov 9, 2010.

1. brianp

brianp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    My wife and I decided to get 3 laying hens this past spring. We built a nice coop and got 1 Buff Orphinton and 2 silver laced Wyandotte Pullets. They have all been laying for the last few months and noticed one of the SLW was not growing and just figured she was a runt. We named her Gracie and she was the only one that we really considered a pet since she would follow us around and let us pet her. We'll yesterday morning I went out to feed them and only 2 were outside the coop so I looked inside and Gracie was laying under the roost with her wings spread out. I picked her up and she didnt seem right. My wife works a vet hospital so she took her up there, but they dont usaully deal with birds. The vet was nice enough to look at her and told my wife she was dying so they ended up putting her to sleep. The vet then did a Necropsy and tells us the cause of death was Round Worms. Now we are of course concerned about the other 2. I know there a several treatment options just wanted some recommnedations.

Thanks,

Brian

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Been down that road recently with my flock. Wazine 17/piprazine fixed them up in short order. Poop went from foamy creamy messes to solid and chickens started packing on weight in no time.

If one in you flock has worms almost certainly they all do to some degree.

Seams many people go with Wazine for a first worming and follow up with a broad spectrum wormer a week or two later.

3. brianp

Apr 19, 2010
    We were leaning towards Wazine and going to pick up today. What would you recommend for the broad spectrum. Also how long should we through away the eggs and what about the eggs from the last few weeks?

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I have used fenbendazole (safeguard paste) worked fine, Other speak highly of ivermectin. Neither are sold as chicken wormers so you will find it hard to get solid advice on egg withdrawal.

One way to think of the wormer egg withdrawal period is that it takes about 21 days start to finnish for an egg. So given that after 21 days the vast majority of any chemical should be gone from the eggs. Some people don't withdraw that long, some don't with draw at all for their own use. Some Directions in some jurisdictions will read even Wazine is never to be used on layer chickens and then the assumption sometimes made is the eggs would never be safe to eat.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wazine will get rid of large roundworms only. Dont medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days...this is where the 2 week egg withdrawal comes from. A second wormer such as Safeguard paste, an equine wormer, can be used as a broad spectrum wormer 14 days after using wazine. Safeguard also has a 14 day egg withdrawal period. Most ivermectin products are 14 day withdrawal too, except eprinex pour on....no egg withdrawal period.

6. brianp

Apr 19, 2010
    I gave them Wazine yesterday and took it up this morning. Is that all it takes? Now in 2 weeks what is a good broad spectrum to use? Also, is there anything else I need to do... change their diet, clean more, etc. Sorry for all the questions I'm still new to this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by