Lost my favorite girl, Whiskey.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by joskt0204, Aug 29, 2011.

1. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    My son got an egg from our chicken tractor at about 4 p.m. We ran out to do some errands and got back home about 5 p.m. I went out to feed the chickens and noticed Whiskey was missing. I checked the nesting box first, thinking maybe she was ready to lay. She was in the nesting box, beheaded. Her neck was all exposed, as was her chest, but her body was complete. There were a lot of feathers around. The nesting box area of my chicken tractor is tiny. Small ramp up, opening just big enough for a chicken, and only about 16" tall. What would do this, in such a small area, in broad daylight? I'm in east TN.

2. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Oh, I am so sorry - No idea what would have done this during the day like that. Seems like a fox would have taken the entire chicken.

We lost a young girl this month to what I'm guessing was a coon and I still feel sad when I think of her. Hope you find the culprit.

3. joskt0204

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    There's definitely not room for a fox to get into the nesting box. I'm thinking possum (weird during the day though), skunk, or what? Cat, maybe? Whiskey was such a great little girl.

4. Missbehavin

Missbehavin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    Was wiskey there when he got the egg? Seems kind of odd during the day?
    deb

5. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    so sorry about whiskey, it's hard when you lose your favorite.

6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    maybe an opossum, I don't think a cat would have just taken her head, plus if she is a large hen a cat likely would not have gone after her anyway. Very strange during the day, hopefully you don't have any sick wild life around! Was she alive when your son collected eggs?

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    A possum does not go for the head. He goes in from the rear. Maybe a weasel and coon. I very much doubt a possum.

8. joskt0204

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    Yes, Whiskey was outside running around when he collected the egg. They are only about 23 weeks old, and we just had the four pullets. Whiskey was by far my most careful and spooky chicken - I really didn't think she'd be the one to get caught.

We do have a feral cat that hangs around in the woods behind our house. I have never seen a possum or raccoon out during the day (well, I haven't even seen a raccoon around here). We do have skunks. I don't really know how to prevent this from happening again. I can move the tractor further from the woods and closer to the house.

9. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    probably a small coon. sounds like a young one going on a killing streak. sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by