Lost my favorite girl

Iwanabea Farmer

Hatching
Nov 10, 2015
I know its a sad way to start in a new place but I was pretty devastated yesterday after I came home and found a pile of feathers in the chicken run and my favorite girl (a silkie) was laying a little ways away.
After surveying the area and looking at her body it was determined that one of the other chickens (or chickens) had done the deed.
She was missing all of the feathers from her shoulders up. Upon investigating, one of the roosters had small black spots (dried blood) on his crown.
He was put into solitary confinement for the night but it was really close to corporal punishment.

A week or so ago I noticed and heard one of the smaller roosters getting feathers plucked constantly even when he was in a submissive position. I tried shooing from behind the fence but they didn't care. I went in the yard and ended up kicking a few away from the poor guy.
I put an add on craigs list and a gentleman picked up 4 out of the 6 roosters I had. Unfortunately I must have not gotten the one that was the mean one and I regret that I didn't pay closer attention to them when I separated the chickens.
I am hoping he will pick up this guy.

Anyways thank you for letting me vent a little.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry for the loss of your Silkie. It's always sad to lose one of our flock. :eek:( Definitely get rid of that mean rooster. There is no good reason to keep a bad rooster. You don't want him injuring your other birds or people either and you don't want to breed that kind of aggression into your flock. One thing you will need to be careful of with Silkies; because they are bantams, if you have them in a mixed flock with standard sized breeds, they can take a beating from the larger birds. For this reason we have to remove our Silkies from the main flock and keep them in their own separate enclosure. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to figure out who the bully is/are.

So sorry you lost your favorite girl.
hugs.gif
. If you don't need fertile eggs to hatch or sell, you don't have to have a rooster. Your hens will continue to lay just as many eggs without them and would not be damaged or harassed by roosters.

Thank you everyone.
I have someone picking up the rooster in question who has been in solitary confinement so to speak.
He almost ended up in the freezer. Even though I have butchered probably thousands of chickens growing up, I couldn't bring myself to initiate corporal punishment as an adult.
The sad thing is I acquired my silkies as a pair.
My other chickens are buff orpingtons that I got as chicks in June.
On the bright side I got my first egg the other day :).

I'm learning more as I go and I am glad there are places like this to acquire information.
Have a great weekend.

Back
Top Bottom