Lost my favorite hen last night...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Muffin14143, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Muffin14143

Muffin14143 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    I'm very sad to report that my favorite hen out of my flock of seven, died last night. She was a seven year old silkie hen named Muffin, and she was my baby. She was always such a sweetheart, and so gentle and loving. She loved being held, and used to follow my mom and I around the yard. She got sick this summer, and we found out she had tumors in her intestines. The vet gave us a tube so we could feed her. Muffin got really thin, and often had to come inside at night, but I never minded. I gave her special food, and made her homemade warm oatmeal in the winter. She was a real fighter. She would work her way to the front of the coop in the morning, and snatch bread out of my hands before the young hens could get it. She loved her bread. She was the thinnest, weakest bird in the coop, but she had the strongest will. She tried so hard to make it through the winter. I did everything I could for her, but she was just too old and thin. She felt like nothing but bones. My heart is broken right now. I miss her so much. The only reason I am posting this here, is I am wondering, you don't think she suffered last night, do you? I am also wondering if a weak hen can just die like that. It was pretty cold, but no colder than any night we have had so far. She was outside by herself late last night (in the run), she looked like she couldn't make it to the roost (which is not unlike her, she didn't fly that well.) Our coop is really safe and warm in the winter, though not heated. I found Muffin under a nest box, with a lot of shavings on her. She was huddled up like she was sleeping, and one of her eyes was open a little bit. Her feet were clamped a little. It was so upsetting to see my baby girl like that. She was usually pretty lively, despite her weakness, and loved to "talk" to us, in her little silkie voice. I may post some pictures or a video later. I am still kind of in shock over what happened. I loved her to death, and I was constantly checking on her and making sure she was okay. love you Muffin. R.I.P God Bless you.

2. fustercluckfarm

fustercluckfarm New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    sorry for your loss. it's hard to lose a pet

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Very sorry you lost your girl. I had a brown leghorn who was very similar in her attachment to me who I lost last summer. She was special and I still miss her.

Even when you know it's coming it's still hard when you go out and find that they've passed. I don't think your girl suffered last night. It was just her time. When they have been battling illness and are weak sometimes their heart just gives out. Take comfort in the fact that you took such good care of her in her old age and through her illness.

5. KBG204

KBG204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Pasquotank County, NC
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    So sorry for your loss. With her being sick, it was her time to go. Tumors are nasty things. She was strong and held on for you as long as she could. I'm sure she loved you for how much you cared for her.

7. Muffin14143

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    Thanks guys. I have lost two birds before, but they died at the vet's, not just in the coop like Muffin. She was old, and unbelievably thin, though I gave her extra food and tube fed her when she was really weak. I name and love all my chickens, but Muffin was especially important. Glad to know that she didn't suffer, just kind of went to sleep and didn't wake up.

8. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I can tell how sad you are and I'm sure you truly did everything you could for her. It was just her time to go. She sounded like she had a wonderful life!!

9. Muffin14143

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    Here is a picture of her. She loved to snuggle on a beach towel, especially in the sun outside.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  10. Muffin14143

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    [​IMG]
    Getting ready to take her outside on her towel. She had just had a bath, as she had recently been egg-bound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by