Lost my favorite hen! Tame breeds?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by photographybycasea, Jun 12, 2011.

1. photographybycasea

photographybycasea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Early this morning, i went to the coop to feed my 3 chickens, and my favorite red star was gone! :[ we looked everywhere, in trees, in the woods, everywhere we could think of! Then i found a wad of her feathers and shes still not back tonight. Like i said, she was my favorite and i got really attached to her.

She was super tame and would come sit with me and wait for treats.

Could someone tell me what breeds is super super docile and tame like that? I dont really care about quietness or egglaying.

Thanks in advance!

2. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    r u sure u want really tame ones seems more like u need more alert birds, but i have no idea what breeds r good natured

3. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Orpingtons, Sussex, and Australorps are nice friendly, good egg layers. They jump on my lap for treats, of course I spend a lot of time with my birds...

4. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
  5. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    Silkies are really friendly

6. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    My cochins are super tame and sweet!

7. photographybycasea

photographybycasea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks guys! are there any breeds out there that are KNOWN for being friendly and sweet? i just dont want to get the wrong bird :[

8. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Silkies and D'Uccles. My D'Uccles want me to hold them all the time.

deb g

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    My tamest, favorite hen is a Cream Brabanter that I hatched. She's super friendly, very comical in personality, and demands my attention. If I don't pick her up when she's ready, she will fly and land right on my head.

Also, my Golden Buff hen that I bought as a chick from the Meyer Hatchery is extremely friendly. She's my oldest hen at the age of 3, and she helps me in the garden, chitter chatters at me constantly, and I can pick her up anytime I want to.....

I truly think it's how you raise them......

10. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have all types, the best one is a Production Red...she has always been calm, got her from a friend when she was several weeks old...but I truly believe it's how you raise them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by