Lost my favorite hen yesterday...have 4 of her eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kickinchicken, Nov 5, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I had a beautiful bantam buff cochin. She passed at the vet yesterday from aspiration. I have 4 of her eggs sitting on my counter and I am having a friend try to incubate them. The roo I have now is only about 15 weeks old. Newest egg is about a week old. Would he have been fertile at 14 weeks of age? They free range all day and I haven't seen him mount any of the girls but I'm not there all day watching them like a hawk. Is there a possibility?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    From observing mine, I think there is a good possibility. You can crack an egg or two from another hen and see if it is fertile. If he is mating another hen, he was probably mating her.

This shows you how to tell if an egg is fertile. You may have to gently turn the egg over if you don't see the spot. Sometimes it is hidden underneath. In any case, I'd incubate.

Fertile Egg Photos
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008&p=6

3. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I'd rather not waste what little eggs I have. There are only 4 from her and she was the only one who is laying. The others are slackers and/or molting. I only have 3 hens and a roo right now. I wish the others were laying, then I'd have something to compare it to. Oh well, time to incubate. What if I candled them. Is there something I should be looking for?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can try to incubate them. There is an outside chance that your boy was already fertile and mating properly. You can't candle them and see anything until they've been incubating for at least 5-7 days. Good luck! Hope they're fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by