Lost my favorite roo... but there's hope?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Kamiki, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Kamiki

Kamiki Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    So, my favorite chicken was named Cancan. A beautiful Showgirl that I hatched myself. Unfortunately, recently he had to be rehomed because his lungs were getting way too powerful and his testosterone started pumping and man did he like to crow. I was very sad, but I knew that would eventually be the case if SHE turned out to be a HE. I live in an area where you can't have Roos :X

Almost a week later, Rouge (My only hen, a tiny little Serama) layed her FIRST egg ever. On a whim, I tossed it in the incubator....just in case. I had NO idea how long hens can retain sperm, or if they can retain sperm at all, but since the egg was too small to eat anyway, I figured I'd cross my fingers and give it a chance.

Well guess what - I just checked and its fertile!!

I know there's only a small chance of it hatching because its SOOO small and after that, only 50% chance of being a hen but man, wouldn't that be cool if I get one of Cancan's daughters?

Wish me luck, please? [​IMG]

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Good luck! Hope it works out for you! [​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Cancan is a cute little guy. I hope the egg hatches a tiny pullet for you. It sure would be an adorable chicken.

4. Kamiki

Kamiki Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    Thanks guys. I'm trying to balance the line between being optimistic and getting my hopes up. :)

5. Serenity Sav

Serenity Sav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Bonny Doon, California
    Hoping for you! That would make me so happy if his daughter hatched out of there! ^_^

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Good luck on the hatch!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by