Lost my favourite girl.......Mary

ValleyviewRoost

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Guelph ontario Canada
I lost one of my 2 girls on Sunday ....had to put her down.....only have had them for 5 months....I'm going to miss her....she was such a gentle girl....I was going to find a new home for my other girl TicTac and get out of the chicken hobby because I found it so hard and painful...I didn't have the heart to let her go too so yesterday I decided to get another isa brown.....she's not Mary but TicTac needs company...I named her Jemma.....here's a photo of my sweet girl Mary. ...RIP

So sorry about your loss. That's the thing that worries me when the time comes that something happens to one of mine. All you can do is just know that you gave her the best life that was pssible for the time you had with her.

I have 3 golden comets that look like her. What happened to her did she get sick?

She developed some sort of a lung problem....she lost her voice about 2 weeks ago...she was always a very vocal girl ....Sunday morning she was not breathing very well so I took her to the vet and they did an X-ray and discovered her lungs were badly infected and her heart....I made the decision to put her down as her breathing was really hard to watch ....I didn't think she she could recover....she was small for her breed as our new girl is large already so she had something genetic I think ....thank you for your warm words.....we do get so attached to them

Yeah it's hard. The chickens I have my son got as a school project and we got them as 1 day old hatchlings and I grew so attached to them I couldn't let them go once the project was over. Like I said all you can do is just know that you gave her the best life you could with the time you had with her.

Hello everyone.....my new hen has an odd bowel movement....I'd this normal because I read of it maybe being a worm problem....if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it....thanks

Hi,
You may want to go to the emergencies and diseases part of the forum.
Here is a quick link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Also here is another site with a poo chart for comparisons.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0%3Cbr%3E%3Cbr%3Ei

I will dig out another for you, but you can get started on those.
Welcome to BYC. It might take a while to find your way around, but I understand how it feels when you are worried. You need help now. If you get lost, come back to this thread and I will see if I can help you navigate. however If you start a new post with your problem more people will be able to assist you.

There is a search bar on the top of this page. You might get some relevant older threads to look at.

Go to this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/826429/sitting-with-a-cup-of-coffee-coffee-lovers/8700_50
and run down to post number 8713. Not everyone agrees with the poo chart, and I don't want to get snarled at by people, so you can read what they have to say about it.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank-you for your warm words.....she will be missed....Jemma is laying her eggs in the garden right now but I'm winterizing 1/3 of my shed for the winter hen house for them...we had a cold winter last year and I'm assuming I'll have another this year
1f60a.png
1f413.png
1f413.png

Back
Top Bottom