Lost my first birds

holachicka

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Folsom, CA
hit.gif
Two have dissapeared. Saw some clumps of feathers that were wet on the ends, (like from a mouth) so I'm thinking it was either a fox or a coyote. It was at about 10:45 this morning. All of my birds were scattered. Had a hard time coaxing them back, some were stuck in the fencing from when they tried to get away, and some will not come out of the coop no matter what. I'm so frustrated! They are just now getting ready to start laying, and I'm sure this will set them back!
he.gif
I know that the predator will be back, just trying to find the best wat to keep it away from my birds! Does hotwire work for coyotes or foxes? the fence is standard field fence lined with chicken wire. Too large of an enclosure to cover... I'm so stinking MAD!!!
rant.gif
somad.gif

I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost some birds. How discouraging.

Yes, the predator will be back now that it knows where the buffet is. Field fencing won't keep a coyote out. They can hop right over it. Foxes will outsmart it too, along with anything else that can chew. Chicken wire is useless in that area. I think it would definitely be worth a shot with the hot wire. I would put a couple strands up to about 7 feet high and then some down low as well.

Lots of luck to you.

My sisters property is surrounded by field fencing and barbed wire and she has a terrible time with coyotes at her place. I suppose if you try putting several rows of it going up high it might work. It would be easier and less expensive than hot wire for sure.

Also be sure that there isn't any holes in your fence that they could possibly be squeezing in through.

I was talking to my neighbor and told him what had happened. He's pretty sure it's a bobcat, and he happens to be my favorite person in the world! A retired purple heart vet, He's going to come over tomorrow morning and wait with his rifle, and take my predator out!!!
love.gif
I've promised him free eggs since the girls were chicks, so he's mad too!
gig.gif
I really am lucky to have such good neighbors!

so sorry about your chicks. I had the same experience, mine disappeared in as such a sudden manner. i've been watching the fence line ever since. Keep vigelent (sp?) maybe buy a gun, just sayin' .....

Thanks guys! It turns out I lost one bird, the last one came wandering in this evening. Still... The guys are already planning their steakout to get the culprit.
big_smile.png
and plan to keep at it because there may be more than one. My neighbor is really mad about the loss of an Egg a day!!
big_smile.png
Makes me feel a lot better, knowing others recognize their worth as well. Still, while I'm not so peeved, I am not happy, and knowing I'm going to have to keep my girls cooped up for a bit until they get the bad guy is frustrating! At least I know that the coop is cooler than outdoors because of the cement foundation, so they will be comfortable... Hope they get him soon! We will also be reinforcing the fence this weekend...

Bummer about the loss. Start a wire at about 6", and then every 12-18" to the top of the fence. Not sure what you mean by field fence, but maybe it is 6" mesh? Might be time to build them a specific run and only let them range when you are out there.

Back
Top Bottom