Lost my first chick today.....:(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueberrychickens, Apr 3, 2012.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I hatched out 13 welsummer chicks over the weekend. Moved all to the brooder yesterday & everyone was adjusting well to their new home. Get up this am & one had died during the night. Now I am paranoid that something is wrong w/ the others & that they are gonna die too, even tho they all look & act fine. They have food & water & brooder temp under the light is a steady 95 degrees w/ plenty of room to move away from the light if they feel too hot. I know that sometimes some will fail to make it, thats nature at its best.

2. proxieme

proxieme Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    :(

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    So sorry about your chick :(

4. LilChickenMomma

LilChickenMomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    Brevard County, Fl
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry

5. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    That is sad I'm sorry. I would not worry too much about it. Sounds like you are doing everything right sometimes some are just weaker than others for unknown reasons.

1 person likes this.
  6. LLJerysnemisis

LLJerysnemisis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I'm sorry, I bought 7 bantam chicks 2 weeks ago, lost one last week and one last night [​IMG]
    I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, they have food, vitamins, water, ACV, heat lamp, etc. It is very sad to lose them though

7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I have never lost a chick...but....I have a week old Golden Sexlink that all of the sudden seems SO tired all the time....She has been active, eating and drinking up till now....I do see her eat, but now seems to have very little energy...I am worried....And like you have everything perfect for them. Sorry for your loss!!!

8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm guessing she's got a cocci infection. If she falls asleep standing up and keep rocking forward, waking herself for a second but tries to stay asleep, she's most likely dealing with that. I'd get her on some meds, Pronto!! It's a very weird and subtle symptom. When they are healthy, they just slump to the floor when they want to sleep. But if they stand up and rock themselves awake for some reason it usually turns out it's cocci. It's a symptom they don't mention in the books/websites, but myself and others have experienced it and either lost chicks or at least saved the others.

9. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Oh NO! Thanks for the info. Thats exactly what she is doing...She is on medicated feed though...is that good enough or what else should I do? ((See...this is why BYC is so great...you deal with things you never have before so I can just ask or research it! I know ALL about bumble foot, but this...never had a problem with it!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by