lost my first chick :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by showbarnmom, Jan 7, 2013.

1. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I brought home 4 2 day old chicks almost 5 weeks ago, and they had been thriving. Moved them outside into their enclosed coop, last week. Still doing great. Went out at lunch today to check on them and found one dead :(

Didn't appear to have any serious trauma, or injuries,was just between a wall and a nest box. Not a tight spot either.

Of the 4 we suspect two roos and two pullets, and the one that past was the obvious roo. I even named him already :(

I am majorly disappointed and upset. They were all doing so well :(

I set in their coop and cuddled with the remaining 3. Sharkie, Minnow, and Fishy.

Rip lil Roo the rooster (hey never said it was a creative name.)

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I am sorry for your loss. Hope the rest do well. I am hoping that you still have a heat source near them. Although they may be feathering up nicely. Sometimes the cooler nights can be a problem... It could be that they got cold and huddled and the little one that passed away was at the bottom of the pile when this happened. He or she may have passed away and been unable to remove himself. I am sorry if writing this might upset you. But I think with almost everyone, the "piling" up of babies has occurred at one time or another in our keeping of poultry. and sometimes they do that as a friendly thing, not just a warming issue. Also are you feeding them medicated feed?
    Keep us posted AND hope for the continued growth and success of the others!

3. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    It really is amazing how quick these little buggers can grow on you. Sorry for your loss.
    Check to make sure he didn't get into anything bad that the others can get into.

4. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    They still have a heat source, because there are younger chicks. During the day it stays around 90 under the lamps, and at night around 70. The big chicks are feathered in nice, all but their necks and bellys.

I don't think it was piling up, because he was between things, and no other chick was there. I personally think he was trying to roost and fell. Then couldn't get out.

They are eating medicated starter by manna pro and Purina. Also oatmeal flakes, regular scratch, and veggies I cut up nice and small.

The other 3 big chicks seem to be doing fine....so I don't know :-/

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Well, bless his heart and yours. Sometimes we just don't know what happens...Praying all the others will continue to thrive and do well!

6. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    So far everyone is doing OK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by