Lost my first chicken today :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bocephus_the_rooster, Jul 8, 2010.

1. bocephus_the_rooster

bocephus_the_rooster Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Today i lost my first hen. it was an 8 and 1/2 week RIR. One of the bigger ones too. The eyehooks on my ramp broke and while a few hens were on the ramp the ramp broke and crushed the hen under it. i was so sad [​IMG] now my flock is only at 9 [​IMG]

2. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear that. I lost one of mine about two week ago and it is sad. I don't know what happened to her, just found her dead inside the hen house one morning. So I know how you feel!

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    It sucks to lose one, and they are just like horses, it seems the one you like the best is the one that is down. Sorry for you, I still miss some of my favorites. [​IMG]

Bury it quick, and get it over with, and go on. Helps me. mk

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

5. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Oh my god, that's horrible. So sorry for your loss. I hope your hen didn't suffer.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm sorry [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sometimes it really seems as though any benevolent force in the universe is aleep at the wheel, especially when innocents are involved.
    JJ

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    And now you feel rotten. [​IMG] You will think about this much longer than you should. You will think,"It's just a chicken!" and you will feel rotten for feeling rotten. [​IMG]
    It wasn't just a chicken, It was your chicken.
    We understand. I think we have all lost one to something bizarre. It's a bummer. I hope you feel better soon! [​IMG]

8. bocephus_the_rooster

bocephus_the_rooster Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    thanks everyone for your help. i guess all i can do is move on and give the other 9 the best lives i can!

9. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I lost one of my EEs after the blizzards we had here in MD this year. She was my favorite and I cried like a baby. I never did find out why she passed, she was just there in the coop while the others were in the run. I still miss her. It takes time so hang in there and enjoy the other chicks you do have.

Tammy

10. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Gosh so sorry to hear.We lost one of our first RIR roo's 6 year's ago to freak accident.We had just moved and got those bird's There was an old birdbath in yard.It was heavy concrete and DH had put the top back on but part of the top's bottom was broken.It looked nice and seemed fairly sturdy even with the little broken part.The Roo flew up on it and the whole thing just filpped and fell on his head.Accident's happen and sadly some weird one's.We got rid of the birdbath after that.Huggg''zzz for your loss really.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by