Lost my first chicken today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Keith13, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Keith13

Keith13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    I had my first chicken disappear today. Not really sure what happened she was just gone. I had them out free ranging behind the house and didnt see her most of the day but somewhat assumed she was digging around in the bushes. She came in and laid an egg sometime during the day but did not return to the roost at sundown. Hopefully she was roosting in the bushes somewhere and will return today but that isint like her so I fear her lost

Keith

2. anniep

anniep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Hawaii Island
    Keith, she may have sadly been taken by a hawk unless your coop is closed. We had a coyote come and take one of ours, and it's tough. So sorry. Hope you find her and good luck!

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I hope she comes back, but know from experience that if they don't come home at night its for a reason. I have lost hens to foxes and bobcat during the day. I ended up going with an electric net fence setup, and while it limits their free ranging, it has kept them alive and safe.

4. Keith13

Keith13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Well she showed up today. She was a little ragged and looked like she lost some weight. But was happy to see her sisters when I opened the gate.

Keith

1 person likes this.
  5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Yeah! I love a happy ending!

6. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    Keith,
    The same thing happened to us last week. Our chicken went missing for 2 days and showed up one morning looking ragged but she's ok. Glad you got her back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by