1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost my first chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken.Lytle, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I do not know, possibly it was the exposure. But it still stinks, regardless. I am sorry.. [​IMG]

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    so sorry. you are in texas, can't be getting that cold is it? she much have been ill and the othes knew it, so sad

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

It was 29F Christmas Eve. Christmas morning she was dead.

Of the six hens, we have been getting 5 eggs for a while. I had thought the formerly-broody BO was the slacker. But Christmas morning we had 5 eggs from five hens.

This makes me think something was awry with her, but I have no clue.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you'll probably never know unless you do a necropsy, sorry this happened. Especially if she appeared fine before.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] That is very sad.

A wet chicken will have problems warming up in 29 degree weather and no one to cuddle with. Sounds like a case of hypothermia.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most likely from being wet, could happen even at warmer temps if they go to bed wet.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chicken.Lytle :

It was 29F Christmas Eve. Christmas morning she was dead.

Of the six hens, we have been getting 5 eggs for a while. I had thought the formerly-broody BO was the slacker. But Christmas morning we had 5 eggs from five hens.

This makes me think something was awry with her, but I have no clue.

That just isn't cold for chickens. The fewer eggs combined with their rejecting her on the roost convince me she was sick. It's not that surprising that you didn't realize it, the way chickens hide illnesses.

Sorry for your loss.​

9. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    They may have rejected her because she was ill, too. It's all very sad. So very sorry for your loss.

deb g
    KY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by