Lost my first girl

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
Poor baby was attacked by a loose dog and I had to put her down. If I knew who owned this dog and if I could have caught the SOB my girl wouldnt be the only one put down. I felt so bad she had most of her feathers ripped off and was bleeding pretty bad. How she was still alive I dont know. Its was the first time I had to kill an animal.

You have my sympathy. We lost our only two on Thursday to my own dog while they were freeranging. Just about the worst feeling you can have. At least our two were killed outright. I can't imagine what I'd have done if I'd been in your position. I wouldn't even know how to do it.

I'm so sorry. I lost one of my first three almost two weeks ago, and it's still very sad, not just for me but for the whole family (feathered members included). The two in her "peer group" that started as our first three chicks have missed her the most, but one is distracted by her broodiness and the other, who's also molting, has become really despondent and lonerish. It's tough. I also understand the rage at what killed them...in our case it was a car driving so carelessly it could have hit a kid (our neighborhoods full of them). And so sorry that you had to be involved in ending her life, that must have been difficult even though it was a loving, merciful act.

We try to remember that everything happens for a reason. It may sound silly, but we've also enjoyed listening/singing "I'll fly away" from the O Brother Where Art Thou album...I'd like it sung at my own death, and it's particularly beautiful when mourning a lost bird. Hope you find some peace.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this...
hugs.gif

I feel your pain and my heart aches for you having to do what you had to do...even though your head knows it was the right thing. Hugs from my feathered heart to yours....
hugs.gif

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.I have a big problem with dog owners who let their dogs run loose. Sometimes theres a good excuse why a dog got loose and their owner usaully keeps their dog under control. My beef is with owners who just let their dogs run on a regular basis..
If i knew a certain dog ran loose all the time and it killed my chickens, on my property, it would meet the same fate as my hens..
Again i'm sorry for your loss, i hope this doesn't happen to you again.

Back
Top Bottom