lost my first hen to either dog or coon

imtc

Songster
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
I went out to check my girls around noon today (I have 4...barred rock, california white, aracauna, favorelle) and found my favorelle dead. Her leg with thigh attached was in the coop with some large wing pieces and the rest of her in the yard with my dog. Not sure if the dog did the attack or interrupted whoever was...can a dog pull a chicken thru a chain link fence? My coop is a 14X6 dog run with chicken wire enclosing the top and a concrete floor so nothing can dig it's way in. I found the area where she was pulled thru and the hole was not very big...just at the base of the pen barely bigger then a chain link diamond (surprised she fit thru it). I have 2 large dog igloo's in each corner that the favorelle liked to lay behind where she'd be against the chain link so my guess is a racoon maybe grabbed her thru that? I have since re-enforced the bottom fencing with much smaller gage wire to keep hands from reaching in and am hoping that does the trick. Poor girl...what a horrible way to go! I feel bad.
sad.png

BTW...can anyone tell me how to post photos? I'd like to get suggestions at design if mine is not adequate.

thanks.

Your dog ripped it throught he fence. A coon would go in and kill it. My dog have done the same before also. Theres only so much temptation they can take. Sorry for the loss.

Back
Top Bottom