1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost my first hen to unknown causes :-(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MeepMeeps, Mar 29, 2016.

1. MeepMeeps

MeepMeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Today we lost our first pet chicken, a GLW named Bradley Cooper. She was a sweet beautiful girl. My husband found her under the truck, belly side up. She was still warm. No signs of attack or illness. I am wondering if our roo chased her and she either had a heart attack? Or hit her head on the truck while running under it? I don't know. we are sad of this sudden loss but we gave her a really good life where she roamed and explored with her sisters most of her days. She is featured on the BYC Calendar, 2016, June. I picture her in a sunny green pasture in chicken heaven! Sorry Bradley that you didn't make it to 1 year old. [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Poor Bradley, she sounds like a sweet girl. I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. MeepMeeps

Jun 15, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Thank you n f c.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    oh I'm so so sorry. :( I just lost one of my 3 year old silkies and it's devastating! My girl went broody and passed away on her eggs. it was heartbreaking having to lift her off her eggs. I will never forget it. so awful. :( I was so attached to her. when she passed her sister started screaming really loud and I went to see what was wrong and found her. Her sister was absolutely devistated! so heartbreaking.. I know how you feel. BIG HUG FOR YOU ((())))

5. MeepMeeps

Jun 15, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Thank you Realsis. A big hug for you too, so sorry about your silky! What a sad story, I'm sorry.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Hens are known to lay in some strange places. I had one who started setting under the hood of a seldom used pickup truck. When my everyday truck was in the shop I went to the bank to make a deposit in my backup pickup. The hen bailed out while I was waiting in the drive through teller line. There are a lot of moving things including fan belts etc under the hood of a motor vehicle that can do in a hen. The hen in question avoided recapture until she went to setting again than it was a simple matter to pick her up from her new nest in the bank's shrubby.

1 person likes this.
  7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I always try to write in an entertaining style but I swear it is a true story. Although it happened 20 something years ago. I do think that your hen either got clobbered by a moving piece of machinery (like the fan blades) or else she may of got caught in a pinch point between a belt and a pulley.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by