Lost my first hen tonight so very sad!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sadiew, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Lost my first hen tonight and so very sad, I had her at home with broken hip for 3 weeks, had made her a sling and had given her vitamins, electroltyes, asprin and antibiotics and she was eating well and drinking water etc and seemed to be doing really good but when I went in to feed her tonight she had died yet just an hour before she seemed okay, do you think that there was possible internal injuries also, she had a bad fall off the ramp to coop and my vet is not experienced in chickens ( actually here it is not the done thing to take chicks to vet it is to local farmer normally but I did not want to do that without giving her a chance) I love all my hens and chicks but got really attached to this one, oh how do you all cope with the loss? I got terribly upset when lost dogs and cats before and never thought I would get so attached to chickens, maybe I am not cut out to be a pet owner think I care too much, the response generally I got from most people is why bother to save her in first place just pop her in oven, I was outraged, sorry I am ramblying and I apologise for spelling just cant see through the tears very well. How do you all cope with loss?

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so very sorry you lost her [​IMG]

It's the hearts that hurt the most at sad times like this that make the world a better place because the beautiful beings in their care know they were loved.

It hurts like a demon when a good heart sees an innocent suffer or die but if everything possible is done to try to right the situation - the best we can do with the limited powers we have - a great service has been done no matter the outcome.

I wish the world were a far kinder place. I'm so sorry [​IMG]
    JJ

3. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG] [​IMG] So, So sorry for your loss... I am fighting (desperatly) to save my favorite hen right now. I am afraid that she is too far gone to pull her through now but I am still going to try. I have also lost many of dogs, cats, and other creatures but, alas, I have not yet lost my Red. I wish you well and feel some of the pain that you must be going through.... Sending you a big hug!![​IMG]

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    It is painful to lose them when you have bonded with them.

I lost my Partridge Rock a couple of weeks ago to laying problems. We had tried the warm water baths and the dark isolation to no avail. I finally took her to my vet. He said that he doesn't operate on chickens any more because there is such a high cost and high mortality rate. He felt that she had a tumor since the lump was not in the right place for egg binding. I had him euthanize her (bless him, he didn't give me a hard time when I cried for her). She wasn't a particular pet until she got weak a couple of months ago, and I brought her in the house for a week or so. After that she looked to me to protect her from the dominants (she was the lowest on the order anyway) and give her separate food and pet her.

Sigh.

I just keep telling myself that she isn't in pain any longer (as she clearly was before) and that she had a good year with me and her coop mates before the tumor caught up with her.

[​IMG]

5. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    I am sorry you lost her. I try to keep a livestock attitude about my birds, but some of them just make pests of themselves until they are pets, don't they?

Don't worry about how you feel, be grateful that you can! There are a lot of hard-hearted ones out there to make up for the few softies.

You gave her a good life. Remember that.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your loss. It always seems it's our favorites. I wish you the best.

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry your hen did not make it. You did your best.

I know it is so sad to lose a dear pet, and I think we get especially attached to them when we try to nurse them back to health.

Despite the pain of losing a feathered or furry friend, I don't think I could imagine not having animals in my life. I have found that the first day is the hardest, and the pain becomes more bearable as the days go by.

8. jbs

jbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Maryland
    Oh, I am sorry for your loss. I'm very new to chickens, was surprised by how bad I felt after losing one of my chicks. You gave your hen a good life, much better than 99% of the chickens in this country. I wish you well.

9. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

scratch'n'peck :

I'm sorry your hen did not make it. You did your best.

I know it is so sad to lose a dear pet, and I think we get especially attached to them when we try to nurse them back to health.

Despite the pain of losing a feathered or furry friend, I don't think I could imagine not having animals in my life. I have found that the first day is the hardest, and the pain becomes more bearable as the days go by.

Couldn't say it better,.. X2 [​IMG]

10. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:That is EXACTLY why you need to be a pet owner. Because you CARE. I am so sorry for your loss, never stop loving your animals. You cope by loving those that are still with you, knowing you did everything you could to save your beloved. And rest assured that you did. Do not doubt your time with her and the care that you showed her. Remember her in the faces of the other chickens and take the best care of them and do it in her name. She will be watching and smiling down at you [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by