lost my first "homegrown" chick :-(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickncrazy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. chickncrazy

chickncrazy Out Of The Brooder

Hi, I am new to the board. I live in North Carolina and one of my silkies hatched out her first chick yesterday. I was SO excited! It was really adorable. This morning everything seemed fine, she came out of the hen house after her momma and the others came out for their breakfast. I went out about an hour later and found her dead in the coop. Do you think the other chickens killed her? Should I have moved the momma and chick to a different location? I am devastated. They are in a large house and coop....one rooster and 6 hens. The momma is sitting back on her nest now, still has 4 eggs. But I am really depressed about my first little one. Any help would be very appreciated!

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

:aww AH I am so sorry. ........it may have been the rooster or hens.......probably a good idea to isolate her is at all possible.......... maybe wire around the nest box she is in......and supply her with her own food and water until all hatch........ my rooster killed a couple of my babies last year is the only way I found out I had to seperate them.... I hope it works and you have 4 new silkies soon !

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your chick. Some say to keep them separate and some say they are fine with the others. I think it depends on your flock. If you think the other eggs she is sitting on are still viable I would try to pen her off from the others just in case.

[​IMG]

4. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Hey,

Welcome to backyard chickens, I am sorry about what happened to your chick [​IMG] . I whould try to close the hen off the other eggs still have a shot.

Goodluck [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd seperate her and her remaining eggs. Some mother hens are good about protecting their babies....others not so much.

6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Well, you came to the right place, because we here can understand how you feel right now. It is really sad to loose a potential new beautiful life, especially a little fluffy one. Try not to be hard on yourself, these things happen, especially to those of us who are new to caring for little chicks.

Yes, I think it is always best to keep the mom and babies separate from any males or any aggressive females until they are big enough to hold their own.

Sorry for your loss. I know how it feels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by