Lost my first two chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by texasbartrambaby, Dec 8, 2008.

1. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Ugh - I am so sad and upset right now. We rec'd our babies last Weds and so far I have lost two. Not sure what's going on - I check on them around 3 or so and around 8 one is gone. Happened last two nights now. I am hoping its just the "normal" loss for this time of year. [​IMG]

One of my twin girls has gotten really attached to the cream colored one that's in the bunch. "chicquita" and "blossom" are her favorites. I am praying that nothing happens to these two! [​IMG]

Is this loss normal? They are on purina start and grow, I toss a little starter grit onto their crumbles "salt & pepper" style, under heat brooder set at 95, change bedding and water every day. Draft free in my garage in a 4 x 2 galvanized stock tank. Quick chick is in their water. No one is "piling" and they all look active. No pasty butt or discharge that I can see. This is my first time with chicks. [​IMG]

2. MissChee

MissChee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2007
    MD
    So what is it that u r wondering?

o by the way
    dont feed chickens too salty things
    nor give them any hot things as well

3. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Oh - just wondering what I am doing wrong or if this is "normal" for chicks. Got them from Randall Burkey earlier this week.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Losing a few chicks after shipping, especially in the cooler months of the year isn't anything to be worried about. If under about a week old, it's called "failure to thrive." I consider my shipped chicks "out of danger" at about 2 weeks old.

5. Geo

Geo New Egg

Oct 31, 2008
    Chuckey TN.
    Quote:I havent lost a chick yet, but DW was mental about keeping on top of our babies when we got them. Remove the grit, It is not needed with a starter feed. I so hope you don't lose anymore. [​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Could be normal, Do any of them look like they are panting ??

I never keep my brooder at 95 (even with day olds) ive always noticed it was to hot, Can they get away from the light and be cooler if they want ??

I agree with Geo, there is no need for starter grit yet.

Hope the rest are ok !!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put my lamp to one side. That way they can get into their comfort zone. I have lost one chick at three days old. It was sick from the beginning and wouldn't eat or drink even though I tried to assist it. It just wasn't meant to be. I start the lamp temp at 95 degrees at night only. I have a wireless digital thermometer to monitor the temp. I decrease my temp 5 degrees a week for their first month. At a week old they are in a brooder with a tractor attached. They get outside time in their brooder and tractor. If it's really cold out in the day I will take their brooder lamp and put it on their brooder. I have a bracket I made to clamp their lamp to, so I can cover the brooder and tractor without worrying about the lamp. I wish I had it set up so I could take a picture. No chicks right now.

Chickens do not have teeth. Their food goes, as is, into the crop, where it is slowly funneled into a very small " stomach" for some digestive additives--then to the Gizzard, where it is 'chewed', that is, ground into material that can be digested as it moves into the intestines and so on. The Gizzard is best able to break down whole grains and other chunky bits that they eat when full of grit. Longest lasting grit is Granite, that lasts well. All other rock and stone is so much softer, that it wears down fast and that is why granite grit is best choice, works really well for best utilization of feeds. My baby chicks are given free choice and they choose it with pleasure, baby grit is fine Granite, as soon as they are given anything besides Starter Crumbles. Their tiny gizzards are at optimum function at an early age. If you can't find any chick grit, then just smash up some regular granite or pigeon grit.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by