Lost my flock of three chickens today....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Oliver Douglas, May 11, 2016.

1. Oliver Douglas

Oliver Douglas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Came home late, wife told me that something had happened to Pojo, Pocky and Alice. It was dark and I found one dead chicken in the orchard, the other two were missing. No sign of them. I had raised them from chicks, and we had a six foot fence around the free range area...but now, they are gone. I don't want to go through this again, so I am signing off as a member of BYC...hope everyone keeps their chicks safe. Goodbye.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Sorry for your loss

3. Jewelzer

Jewelzer Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Spokane, Washington
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Hugs to your family.

4. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

I'm so sorry, that must have been awful for you.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How very sad [​IMG]

6. rsneddon10

rsneddon10 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    I've lost a few to foxes and Hawks. If you free range it happens unfortunately. It hurts me to have this happen but unless you keep them locked up 24/7 it's a part of having chickens. Sorry for your loss.

7. Oliver Douglas

Mar 25, 2015
    I found Alice and Pojo this morning in the inner courtyard...apparently, my own dog was the culprit, had gotten through the inner courtyard fence. She ran right out this morning to Pojo's body, like she had accomplished a great feat. Dog never showed interest in them before. She is now on my *(#& list, and knows it. No din din for her today. I guess their hunting instincts can't be ignored.

8. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

oh no, that makes it worse, having it done by "someone you know". When we only have pets and don't live in a farming environment, it can come as a bit of a shock when nature asserts herself.

9. Oliver Douglas

Mar 25, 2015
    Thanks for all the support, but I just can't see having chickens in the future with my murderous mutt around. She knows she is guilty of the crime. If that mutt had gotten out and attacked neighborhood livestock, she would have been shot.

10. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Personally i

I think keeping chickens in a chicken tractor with your dog around. Might help training your dog.. every time she barks at them. Get on to her.. I found with perseverance the dog would learn..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by