Lost my flock

jmemom

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 13, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've lurked here for a while, and I appreciate all the great info you have to offer. I raised 13 chicks, and just this week they were feathered out and ready to go to the chicken coop. Well, day 3 my lab got into the coop and ran off every one of them. (I don't think he ate any, but we are surrounded by cornfields here and they are gone without a trace--not a feather to be seen anywhere.) So I've been upset about the loss and all the time and effort I had put into them.
sad.png
Anyway... I had 3 Australorps, 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Golden Comets and 4 Easter Eggers. I liked all of them very well, but especially the GCs and the BRs.

Now I'm thinking of getting a couple of hens and maybe a rooster for the coop (after DH puts more work into it!), then introducing more chicks later in hopes that the hens might fend off smaller predators. I need help with the "getting more chicks" part. I got these chicks at a local trade day show, and there's not another one of those for a month. Plus, I have no idea how many chicks will be at the next one. So my choices are:

1.) Get on craigslist. There are chicks listed for $2.50 including the breeds I already had and liked. I'm afraid, though, that I will be tricked into getting straight runs being sold as pullets.

2.) Feed mill. They have a few black sex links and NH Reds which I know nothing about, but am willing to try if you all think they are good breeds and comparable to what I had.

3.) Order from Cackle, but I'd have to get 5 of each breed so I could get GC, BR, and EE, but I'd have 15 instead of 13 (which, I guess, isn't all that bad--although, I'll also have 3ish more chickens on top of that...), and I'd have to also pay shipping for these.

I'd love to hear your opinions and advice on this! Thanks,

Jamie

So sorry for your loss! I'd just pick them up at the feed store. I've had good luck with black sex links and I would think the NHRs would be similar to the Golden Comets. I've never had NH Reds but I've heard they are good layers.

Good luck!

I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Getting a rooster and two hens would be great for raising more baby chicks.
clap.gif

If your prefer all pullets, I would choose the hatchery because their accuracy is higher.

I got mine from the feed store and I ended up with a roo. I hope everything works out!

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear about your loss. What a bummer!
sad.png

I would recommend sex-links if you must have pullets. Black sex-links have a splash of white on top of their head to indicate a roo. Pullets are black and red with no white on head. Golden sex links have red and the males are nearly white. You're darn near guaranteed a pullet with them.

Ordering from the hatchery is probably safer as well. 15 isn't that many. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm really sorry you lost your babies. Don't forget about www.mthealthy.com nursery. I have had 2 separate orders from them, birds are very healthy, I've never lost one. They are packed very well, even come with a heating pad when colder weather is here. I got Sexlinks, golden comets from them and also easter eggers. 15 chick min, but they always send an extra one. maybe you can find a friend to split the order with you or even a small feed store?

Maybe if it was just today, some will find their way back.
fl.gif

Where are you located? I've got several feathered out chicks for sale. Many that I know are pullets.

Maybe post a "Wanted" ad here on the forum with your location. Maybe you can get some older chickens without having to start from scratch.

Thanks everyone! I was kind of shell shocked at first, but I guess disappointments like these are just part of farming (which is my grand intent). So I'm not going to let myself be discouraged, I'm ready to give it another go! After mulling this over, I think I am going to go with a hatchery. And you all are right, 15 is not that many... really not much difference from what I had in the first place. It's been hard to think this through with logic instead of emotion, but I'm getting there!
tongue.png

I'm in SW Ohio, FWIW.

I have a NHR and she is absolutely wonderful. She is head hen and a sweet girl... good luck with your new ones

I am so sorry about the loss of your babies.

Back
Top Bottom