Lost My Gander Today

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Dwen, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    My D Toulouse gander came down with Botulism Saturday, and although we tried to fight it off, he passed early this morning. I am still trying to figure out how he became infected in the first place so I can protect the rest of my flock, but I am starting to suspect the bedding in their shed because I sometimes mix wood chips with grass clippings to make it go farther. Could this be harboring the bacteria? could it possibly be their water? This has been the second case this fall.
    I'm so upset about loosing him. You know how ganders can be, they are always trying to challenge and out-smart you, but at the same time, they're your man, and he was my buddy.

[​IMG]

2. tillyita

tillyita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Australia
    Sorry for your loss.

Your botulism spores/source are more likely to have come from a pond or stream then the bedding (although it is possible). If you have ever encountered the stinking black mud that forms just under the surface in creeks/ streams/ dams ponds etc.... that is pretty much the perfect growth environment (at least when the water temp warms up a bit).

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Your gander was gorgeous. I'm very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    So very sorry for your loss and I hope you find the source of where he contacted it from.

About the grass clippings they do rot so maybe just to be cautious I stop mixing with the pine shavings.
    Better to be safe than sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by