lost my hen in neigbor's weed filled yard

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nerd0geekboyz, May 29, 2014.

1. nerd0geekboyz

nerd0geekboyz Chirping

Mar 15, 2011
    NorCal
    I thought that I lost my hen to a hawk but then I saw her in my neighbor's back yard. Once I entered the yard she ran and hid in the thick of weeds.

I grabbed two other hens, put them in a cage and placed the cage in the neighbor's backyard hoping that she will come out of hiding. It's 6:46 pm on the west coast and it will be dark by 8. I am hoping to retrieve my hen before dark.

I also put out some scratch in the neighbor's yard in the hopes she will come out of hiding.

Any recommendations?

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    NorCal,

Your hen has gone over to the greener pasture. The weed patch likely provides more nutritive value and other resources such as cover relative to your well manicured lawn. I take advantage of that to direct the ranging habits of my birds away from the house or to get them out to a larger patch that is farther than they would otherwise like to go to..

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  3. SJ

SJ Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Waterer...she may get thirsty before bedtime. My birds roost on their own every night in the coop maybe she will just come home on her own before dark. Good luck.

4. nerd0geekboyz

nerd0geekboyz Chirping

Mar 15, 2011
    NorCal
    Thanks to both of you.

Putting the other two hens in a same yard, both caged, brought out the other hen from hiding.

But.... I have to tell you that trying to catch a hen in yard full of weeds and junk is difficult. I got a cut on my thigh falling on some construction debris but did not feel or see it until I changed my pants.

@centrarchid the hen would not know how to get back to my yard and there are plenty of raccoons, feral cats, and hawks. I had to get her back before dark else I risk her getting killed at night or the following day.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In the future, avoid chasing birds. Rather concentrate on enticing them into locations where they can be controlled. If you have a little time with a small number of birds, then pick out a small and particular bucket you can use to call them in,. Every time that container is presented, make certain they get something they really like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: