Lost my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sammy2, Oct 11, 2010.

1. sammy2

sammy2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    I posted awhile back that my 2 chickens (i only have 2) hadnt laid any eggs for about 3 weeks-I thought maybe bcause they were molting

well I lost one of them yesterday

she was standing up and not walking much she was all puffy all over and her eyes kept closing-this only started the night before...

I put her in a warm bath and massaged her middle thinking maybe she was eggbound...i felt some stuff in her stomach but it wasnt an egg they were like hard pea sized masses just a few then put her in a warm place for the night where she passed away

she was only 3 years old and laid the most enormous eggs I ever saw.

any idea what it could have been that took her down? and could my remaining hen be affected? (she hasnt laid either but her feathers are coming off)

also how social are chickens should i get the remaining one a friend soon? (was thinking of waiting until spring)

sad day here [​IMG]

thanks byc

sammy2

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I am so sorry. I have no idea but hope someone here can help.

3. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:sorry for your loss.... but i would try and find your hen a friend sometime soon, if you know of a breed you like.

4. sammy2

sammy2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    thanks you guys-yes I guess I will find her a friend-had to find the one that died a friend this spring-wasnt easy to get them to live together!

5. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    I'm so sorry, Sammy. I'm losing one this morning too. I wish you all the best in finding a buddy for your other hen.

6. I feel for you guys today. My heart goes out to you both losing your babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by