1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost My Mr. Henry And Lacey

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lacey1988, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Last Night something got my rooster(Mr.Henry) and my slw hen (Lacey)...Lacey was found dead in the pen whatever it was broke her back as for Mr. Henry all we found was a trail of feathers going into the field(No Blood, No Chicken Parts are anything)...also whatever it was went under the fence no dig marks or anything....My mother seems to think it was a fox....The good news is all my other chickens are fine and also my BO sitting on a clutch of eggs that has 7 of Lacey's eggs in it

We thought it was odd that something would pass up the little chickens and go for two grown ones usually hardy anything messes with a roo much less a 15 pound one also the feathers from Henry don't have any blood or anything and the feather trail is short(wasn't enough feathers you would think it would be more)

RIP Mr. Henry
    [​IMG]

RIP Lacey
    [​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I'm so sorry for your lose [​IMG]

3. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I'm sorry you lost your birds. Please be aware that whatever it was will be back for the others if it can get at them. I'd certainly advise on better predator proofing of your coop/run and making sure the birds are locked up securely at night.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    So, so sorry for your losses.
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    any chance it was a human predator. I too wonder what would attack a large rooster and take go for the chicks?

6. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    So sorry to hear of this!![​IMG] I really hope whatever it was doesn't come back tonight or ever again for that matter. [​IMG]

7. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Quote:On I did I put them in the covered part to roost(which its bottom has bricks all around it)and my BF is going to build me a better pen this weekend

8. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    well henry might not be gone, if not to many feathers and no blood. He might show up in a day or two. I had one disappear after an attack and he showed up a few days later with a broken foot. Hoping for the best for you and your babies [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    ^ thats what my momma said if he comes back he is prob half balded lol

10. Kuntrygirl70

Kuntrygirl70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Sorry to hear about your losses & I feel ur sadness, I lost 7 chickens last week due to a very bad coon. But we did get it in a live trap, and well.....he will NOT be around to get anymore, coon met my Remington.[​IMG] cheer up, somewhere there is another chicken that wants love and will give happiness back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by