lost my parakeet.....

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Birdman18, May 12, 2009.

1. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Hi,
    I enjoy raising birds and i just recently last year received some parakeets as a birthday present. I decided a month ago to put the keets in an outdoor aviary that i have with some doves and quails. They seemed soo happy to be able to fly and have more room to move around. Then i thought about breeding them i would love to have some baby keets of my own. I do have a pair that seems to want to lay soon i've seen them mating but then again doesnt mean i have a male and female, but i hope they are. Right now i have them on a good diet with pellets, a little seed and some veggies. Today when i went to feed them i noticed that one of my keets passed away i was soo upset. He will be missed he was a cute little bird. I'm really getting interested in breeding them its something different from raising doves or quails so i'm going to give it a shot. I wondered today if there was a way i could get parakeets through the mail like when you order adult quails or quail chicks through the mail? or if there was a way to get parakeet hatching eggs?
    Just thought i ask, doesnt hurt to ask.

Thanks!!!

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I think the first thing I would do is make sure there's a market for the babies. In my neck of the redwoods there are classified ads all the time from people trying to find homes for their baby parakeets. It gets to the point where the ad reads "Free parakeet with cage - $20". Same at the local PET"SMART", they can't GIVE the young parakeets away. Just wanted to put that out there...

I have a friend that allowed her keets to breed in an aviary. She had some problems the few times they bred....
    1. Difficult to regulate temp.
    2. Other, non-breeding pair wanted to get involved, and there were fights.
    3. The babies were raised by the mama bird and became "un-handleable"(terrified of people).
    4. None of the babies survived for unknown reasons. (my friend and I do not have the same opinions).

IF you're serious about breeding, please 1) Do all the research to ensure success, and 2) Have a plan for if you're successful!
    Good luck!

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Quote:Thanks for replying thebritt,
    i will everything i can to allow my keets to breed including the research, etc..
    I hope to put up a nestbox soon, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will go successful, there's no hurt in trying.

Thanks Again!!

4. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I just got a parakeet for Mother's Day. I found this forum and they seem very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable... Much like BYC, but for keets.

http://talkbudgies.com/forum.php

5. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Quote:Thanks scrambledmess,
    i'll definely look into that, you should get another parakeet so you'll have a pair wont it get lonely?

Thanks Again!!

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks scrambledmess,
    i'll definely look into that, you should get another parakeet so you'll have a pair wont it get lonely?

Thanks Again!!

Not if you're planning on handling it. If you have multiple birds in a cage, they generally don't want anything to do with people. Have it alone and you have the chance of socializing it into a good pet.

7. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I just posted this question on the other forum. The general reply I got was that it is usually easier to train a keet if it is a single. However, if you can't spend alot of time with the bird, you shoudl get another or it will be very lonely and bored.

In the end though, they said it depends on the bird's personality. As I am new to them, I will keep my one for now so he will learn to trust me. But if I find I am not doing enough for him, I will get another [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by