Lost my pheasants....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rubyrogue, Nov 15, 2010.

1. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    I have two coops with chickens. In one coop I also had three pheasant hens. The coops have been there since April and I have had the pheasants for 3 months. Nothing has bothered them till last week. I locked up one night last week and everyone was accounted for. Sometimes the pheasants will go into the coop this night they did not. Woke up the next morning to one missing. No feathers, no sign of a struggle nothing. I thought someone had stolen her as a two legged pest has been helping themselves to eggs(that problem is now fixed.) Well last night when I went to lock up it was almost dark as I was running a little late. I closed up the coops but the remaining two pheasants didn't want to go in. As I was walking back to the house I could hear them calling and sounding anxious but I just thought it was because a storm was rolling in. Well about an hour later the dogs started barking like crazy. I opened the door to let them back in and they were running around barking up a storm. I could hear something hitting something because of the wind and thought that was what they were barking at and they came back inside. I couldn't really hear anything else because the wind was blowing so hard. Well this morning when I went out to let everyone out and check water I found the headless mutilated body of one pheasant and the other one is just gone. I looked all over for prints anything that might give me clue as to what it was but can not find anything. We live in a subdivision but we have 5 acres and have 2 canyons very close by. We have had bobcats come up out of the canyons but I haven't seen one in forever. My runs are made from 6ft welded wire and topped with netting. Whatever it was went over the top as the netting was all pulled down. I am thinking it could have been a coon although I have never seen one around. Otherwise I am at a loss. The body I found was all but ripped in half and the head was gone. the organs had been pulled out but were scattered around the run. No sign of the other pheasant and this makes me think that the one that disappeared last week wasn't stolen but this thing got it as well. No signs that anything tried to dig under. I feel so guilty that I ignored two warning signs that something was out there. My brother has "marked" the perimeter of the runs to keep coyotes away but does anyone have any other ideas as to what it might be? I already hate the dark and now I am even more creeped out that there is something out there. We have mink and weasel too but i dont know how they would get a full grown hen out of the run without signs of it happening. Do you think it will be back tonight?

2. Tracyfeltsmills

Tracyfeltsmills Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Don't assume it's not a racoon, Same happened to me and i trapped 2 big ugly ones i;d never seen before. But sure enough they tore up 13 girls without a sound or an issue. Sorry for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by