Lost my pied male

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by clhbubba, Dec 30, 2009.

1. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    My young(7-8mo) pied male looked droopy one day, I started putting Safegard in the water that day, the next day noticed the droppings were loose and he was dead the next morning. The other two are fine. I'm so frustrated. All I really wanted was a male peacock around so I got 3 babies earlier this summer to give me better odds. That was the only one I knew for sure was a male. The white and silver pied are still mysteries. He was so pretty. I couldn't wait to see him with his train in a couple of years. Will not happen now. Anything I should do for the other two? I feed them game bird starter and give them treats of dried meal worms for extra protein.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    bubba,,, I would suggest that you keep your peafowl wormed regular. The younger ones are very likely to get wormy.. Use your safeguard often, say every month through the muddy wet weather.. They can get access to earth worm and other bugs which will carry eggs that will hatch into worms inside the peafowl. There are other wormers that you can use also.. tramisol, ivermectin, the panacure, and there are others. It is good to handle them regular if you have the time so you can feel the condition of them. Seems like no matter how much you worm them ,there will be some that still get the worms.... good luck.. George connerhills in Missouri

4. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Connorhill, thanks for you thoughts on the death of my pied. I had wormed these guys when they were 2m and again at 5m. They were given Safegard(panacur)and 2 weeks later Ivermectin. They were coming due on their next worming. Unfortunately we have had a lot of wet weather here so maybe I should have been doing it every 6-8wks. As far as handling them, you are right, I should handle them more often. It is so stressful on them(even though I've had them since 3day old)that I steer away from it. Having said that, the pied that died wasn't emaciated or even thin. I'm not sure what could have happened. He and the silver pied were gone for 2 days about a month ago. Thought I would let them out of their enclosure on a beautiful day and they were gone with the wind.....quite literally!! So perhaps he got into something. I did not open him so we'll never know. The remaining two will stay locked up until spring. Don't want to chase them every night to get them in out of the cold!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by