lost my plugs for my LG?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Chickeneer, Dec 29, 2011.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I set up my incubator and I am missing my plugs(u nowe, the little red ones) I know I can obviously incubate without them, I dont NEED them, actualy alot of people dont use them at all [​IMG]. But with an LG, its hard to keep temp stable and the plugs help a lot buy keeping heat in, as well with humidity. What can I use that fits in the lid of LG to substitute in for plugs?Any tips on keeping temp stable w/o plugs?............and if your phsychic or something, can you tell me where they are in my house? Thanks for any aswers [​IMG]

2. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I lost one of my two plugs (LG red just like yours). For lockdown I need both holes plugged to keep humidity up. I use a dinner napkin kinda rolled up (not the whole napkin) and use that as a plug. I take the napkin out for ventilation once lockdown is done (I usually am doing staggered hatches). I find temp stabilization fine with just one red plug in. Humidity though, well, it's such a battle that I have to mist inside the bator a few times a day during lockdown to keep it up.

Your plug? No idea, sorry. Mine? Probably in my cat's belly.... dumb cats.

Oh if you do use a napkin plug just make sure the napkin isn't near the heat elements (fire risk)

3. Lurken Turken

Lurken Turken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Acampo
    We use duct tape over our holes then take them off if needed.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Just cover them with some tape. As for your little red plugs, they feel out while putting the bator up for storage and your dog chewed 'em up.

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Mine are the kitchen junk drawer.
    Right under where I set the bator up on the counter.

6. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Haha thanks everyone for the info, guess I'l go with tape & napkins [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I do the same thing and just put tape over the holes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by