Lost my polish baby to a freak accident today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lexustami, Jul 19, 2007.

1. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Hello all,

This is the 2nd chick that I've lost to a "freak accident" in the last 2 weeks.

I have my chicks in a horse stall next to the "sheep" stall. There is a big board that is between the two stalls. The sheep must have been kicking at the stall door to get out and the board came loose. I moved the board so it wouldn't fall over and hurt anyone but I didn't move it far enough away. My 7 year old daughter came over and knocked the board over and it fell onto a group of chicks. The polish was flattened by the board. He only lived for about 15 minutes after the accident. His insides were coming out through his vent. He died in my arms. My daughter is so upset because she thinks she killed the chick. I told her it was just an accident and it isn't anyone's fault.

The last chick I lost was almost 2 weeks ago. He was one of my Cornish Rock X's. My husband was helping me at feeding and watering time. I did have the chicks in Havahart rabbit cages. He put a 1 gallon waterer in the cage and he didn't realize it's leg was stuck under the waterer. I found it the next morning with a broken leg. Since he was bound for the broiler anyway I had my husband put him down.

I feel really bad about the polish... he didn't see it coming. He was enjoying a peach one minute and then the next... I guess that is the thing about life. You just never know when it is going to come to an end.

Take care,

Tami

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    [​IMG] oh so sad, i feel awful for you daughter the most. i remember arguing with my sisters when we were little if the one responsible that day for taking the puppies out to potty would have done there job in watching them it would not have gotten ran over. still remember that but my sister's were all older than me i was in elementary school and they were in junior high and one in high school. but i still remember the arguement [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awwww, I am so very sorry for your loss. Tell you daughter....its not her fault...WE SAID SO! [​IMG]
    These things happen....thats why they are called accidents, and not " on purposes"

4. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    Poor chicks! I'm so sorry for your losses. Tell your daughter it is definatly NOT her fault! You or anyone else could have knocked over the board.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by